Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Biblical Giving Pattern

By: Barry G. Allen- President & CEO

I am indebted first to my parents then to my childhood pastor, church training leaders and Sunday school teachers for most of what I know and practice in financial stewardship. But it was my parents primarily who modeled financial stewardship for me. Here’s the biblical pattern they taught me.

First, be a priority giver. “Bring the best of the firstfruits” (Ex. 34:26). Second, be a proportionate giver with the tithe as the floor, not the ceiling, of my giving. “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse … test me … says the Lord Almighty , and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it” (Malachi 3:10). “The gift is acceptable according to what one has” (2 Cor 8:12). Third, be a premeditated giver. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give” (2 Cor 9:7). Be a periodic giver. “On the first day of the week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money” (1 Cor 16:2). Fourth, be a progressing giver. “But Zacchaeus stood up and said … Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor ….” (Lk 19:8). Fifth, be a pleasurable giver. “…for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Cor 9:7). Sixth, be a perpetual giver. “By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead” (Hebrews 11:4).

Across the years I have proven both the reasons and the promises Malachi, Jesus and Paul made to the people of God about giving. I urge you to do the same. To the extent we in the Kentucky Baptist Foundation can be of assistance in facilitating your perpetual giving, please give us that privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment