Tuesday, July 30, 2013

P P P P P Givers

By: Barry G. Allen- President & CEO 

I am one of those fortunate individuals whose parents began teaching me and holding me accountable at an early age about the importance and the role of financial stewardship in my relationship to Christ and to other human beings.

My late father’s favorite scripture was Malachi 3:10: “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse … Test me … says the Lord Almighty, and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.” He more than tithed out of his income and the profits from his business. My late mother tithed out of the allowance my father provided her to run the household. So, all of my life I have been a proportionate giver with the tithe as the floor, not the ceiling, of my giving. I like what the late R. G. Lee said to those who claimed tithing was an Old, not a New, Testament requirement. He said: “to give less under grace than we give under law is a disgrace.”

I was taught also to be a priority giver, which means to give “first” regardless of the proportion, then save and spend. Too many Christians spend first, and too often there’s nothing left to give or to save. The Apostle Paul advises in 1 Corinthians 16:2 to set aside on the “first day of the week” a proportionate sum to give.

To be a progressing giver was another part of my parents’ teaching. That meant to be ever growing the proportion of my giving. The example of Zaccheus in Luke 19:8, who gave one-half of his possessions, is not out of the question for many.

And, I was taught to be a pleasurable giver, not reluctantly or under compulsion, “…for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Cor 9:7).

Finally, I have been taught to be a perpetual giver, leaving a lasting legacy beyond my lifetime to advance Christ’s kingdom (Proverbs 3:9; Hebrews 11:4).

Over the years I have proven both the reasons and the promises the Lord has made to His people about giving; I urge you to do the same thing. Let us know how we can help.

For more information, please call us at (502) 489-3533 or toll free in KY at 1-(866) 489-3533

The information in this article is provided as general information and is not intended as legal or tax advice. For advice and assistance in specific cases, you should seek the advice of an attorney or other professional adviser.

No comments:

Post a Comment